William “Billy” Cooke Carson III

William “Billy” Cooke Carson III

William “Billy” Cooke Carson III, of Turkey, Texas, who was born on October 6, 1935, in El Paso, Texas, to the late Olga Slocomb Carson and the late Raymond Kimbrough Carson, passed away at age 82 on March 12, 2018 in Matador, Texas.

Billy spent his entire childhood in Sierra Blanca Texas. He spent his youth riding horses, hunting, and working on cattle and sheep ranches in the area. He always loved the West Texas landscape and was well known for his love for and knowledge of the area’s ranch land. During his life, he lived in Sierra Blanca, Texas, Clint, Texas, and finally in Turkey, Texas. Sierra Blanca was always the place he was “from.”

In 1959, He married Roberta McK Ludlow. In May 2018, they would have been married 59 years. After his stint in the Army, they made their home in Clint, Texas, where Billy was involved in various community activities. Billy worked for the Highway Department in El Paso, Texas and raised cattle until his retirement in 1995. Soon after his retirement, Billy and Roberta moved to Turkey, Texas to be closer to their three children and their grandchildren.

Billy spent the last 20 years of his life doing exactly what he wanted to do. He was close to his children and grandchildren. He loved his family, checking cattle, and enjoying the beautiful land around Turkey, Texas.

He is survived by his wife, Roberta McK Carson, their children: son, William C. “Pat” Carson IV and wife Tina of Turkey, Texas; daughter, Lisa Jo Campbell and husband Brent of Turkey, Texas; and daughter, Jay Lynn Proctor and husband Doyle Dean of Turkey, Texas. He is also survived by his sister, Dorothy Nell Stanford and her husband Bill of Woodrow Texas; his niece Sally Stanford of Lubbock, Texas; his nephew Raymond Stanford and wife Stephanie and their children of Woodrow, Texas; his sister in law, Rosemary McIntyre of Austin and his nephew Randy McIntyre and wife Mary Ellen of Austin.

Billy’s pride and joy were his grandchildren: Chancy Oliver and husband Kendall, Tyler Campbell, Jacy Proctor, Carson Proctor, Walker Carson, Ryleigh Carson and Parker Carson and great grandson, Vance Oliver.

Billy Carson was blessed in many ways. He was blessed with a family that he loved deeply. He was also blessed by a group of life-long friends that he loved as well. Men like Stanley Weaver, Paul Lettunich, Bobby Lettunich, Davis Holdman, Jim Armstrong, Jerry Ivey, Charlie Bennett, Juan Apodaca, Bobby Jones, and Sonny Bawcom, he held as close as brothers.

Friends and family members are invited to attend the graveside service on Wednesday, March 14 at 3:00pm at Dreamland Cemetery, Turkey, Texas.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to Valley FFA or Dreamland Cemetery.

15 Comments

1. Sandra M Reinhardt on March 13, 2018 at 5:30 pm

My dearest Roberta and family, so sorry to read about Billy he was a good man. Am sure he and Daddy, Roe Miller, are having a grand old time. Love and blessings. Sandra

2. Rusty and David Bryson on March 13, 2018 at 5:45 pm

We were blessed to have known Billy. A fine man who cared deeply for the youth in El Paso and surrounding counties. I know when I needed help for our Ag. Students I knew I could count on him to help. He was a pleasure to know and work with. Our prayers are for the Carson family. Rest In Peace my friend.

3. Rita (Fusser) Carr Giebink on March 13, 2018 at 6:40 pm

So sorry for your families lost. I’m remembering fun times as a kid in Clint with our families.

• Blanche corwin on March 13, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Roberta I am sorry for your loss. May God be with you and ease your pain.

4. Rita (Fusser) Carr Giebink on March 13, 2018 at 6:41 pm

So sorry for your families loss. I’m remembering fun times as a kid in Clint with our families.

5. Marjie Lovett Schaefer on March 13, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Mrs. Carson, Jay and Lisa: I’m so sorry for your loss. I am praying for you. The Lord is close to the broken-hearted.

6. Gail Carson on March 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Dearest Roberta,
    Thinking of you today, with tears and sympathy. Billy was such a wonderful kind man. I am so sorry for your loss.
    I have so many memories of Billy from his first visit to Longmeadow as a boy, totally captivated all my friends, with his cowboy boots…to his attending his Uncle Parker’s funeral in snow bound Massachusetts, to the El Paso reunion.
    I’ll always remember Billy at that reunion. He was a thoroughly decent, kind, generous man of good will, dearly loved by all.
    A terrible loss to you Roberta, to your children and grandchildren. If there were anyway on earth I could get there for Billy’s service, I surely would. But even if I got on a Greyhound bus tonight, I’d not be there in time. Such a very sad day for our family. I hope Aunt Olga is waiting for him.
    In deepest sorrow,
    Cousin Gail

7. Kyle and Ann Williams on March 13, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers to all the family!
    Kyle and Ann Williams

8. Jo pstrick on March 13, 2018 at 7:42 pm

So sorry . Prsyers jopatrick83@yahoo.com

9. Diana Armstrong Honne on March 13, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Dearest Roberta, Lisa, Jay and Pat-pat and family,
    My prayers to all of you in this difficult time. I have some of the fondest memories at your home with all of you. Billy will be missed but never forgotten, I close my eyes and I can see him, Dad, Stanley, Bobby and Paul, playing dominos, butchering and drinking beer, enjoying life. Wow I can only imagine the get together they are all having now in heaven. Remember we will see them again. God Bless you all. Love ya Diana

10. Danny Castor on March 13, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Mrs. Carson, Lisa, Jay, Pat, and family, we offer our heartfelt condolences for your loss. May God give you strength and comfort. We join you in your grief.

The Castor and Mota Families of Clint

11. Linda Fields Makrides on March 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Dear Mrs. Carson, Lisa, Jay and Pat,
    I’m so sad to find out that Mr. Carson passed away. He has a special place in my heart. I have so many memories of him. I am praying for you.
    Love,
    Linda

12. Jana Blair Schreier on March 13, 2018 at 11:06 pm

My hearty aches for you tonight Jay. I know our Lord is with your all and I pray for peace and comfort. He was an incredible dad and will be missed. Prayers my friend..

13. Tracy Prater on March 13, 2018 at 11:13 pm

Mrs. Carson, Jay, Lisa and Pat,
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know he will be missed. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with each of you.

14. Sheryl Spence Childress on March 14, 2018 at 6:32 am

Roberta, Lisa, Jay & Pat [and families] our thoughts and prayers are with you all. May God Bless and give you comfort.

Sheryl Spence Childress