Richard Tillman Turner

Richard Tillman Turner

Richard Tillman Turner, age 92, passed away on November 24, 2018, in Medina Texas.
He was born on July 22, 1926, in Flomot, Texas, to Luther B. Turner and Rose Jones Turner. He married Dorothy Ann Stanfield on May 14, 1949, in Matador Texas; they had been married for 69 years.

Richard attended school in Flomot after which he served as a tail-gunner in the Air Force during World War II.   Returning to Matador, he worked at Billy’s Grocery for over 50 years as the market manager.

One of Richard’s greatest joys was supporting his community and the youth of the area.  He was the “Voice of the Mighty Matadors” for over 30 years and also announced the stock show.  He coached little league baseball and was a positive influence on many children.

He served as president of the Motley County School Board for 12 years and president of the Matador morning coffee club where many stories were told and problems solved.

Richard is preceded in death by both parents; 3 brothers, Gordon, Harold J., and Ray B.;
and 2 sisters May Carson and an infant sister.
He is survived by his spouse Dorothy, son Rick, and his wife Jane, 4 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren.

Visitation will be at the First United Matador Methodist Church in Matador at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday November 29. Funeral services will be held Friday at 2:00 p.m. at the Matador Methodist Church with interment following at the East Mound Cemetery.

8 Comments

1. HUGH A COOK on November 27, 2018 at 3:32 pm

SORRY TO THE FAMILY FOR YOUR LOSS, I WORKED WITH RICHARD AT BILLY’S FOR A WHILE, HIM AND MY DAD WILSON COOK, WERE GOOD FRIENDS, I REMEMBER HIM, HELPING OUR LITTLE LEAGUE TEAMS , COACHING UMPING, SPONSORSHIPS, AMONG OTHER THINGS.
    SALUTE TO YOU SIR, AND FELLOW VETERAN
    HUGH ALBERT COOK

2. Bettye Stevens on November 27, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Dorothy, I am sorry for your loss— Richard was one of a kind and will be missed. Love Bettye

3. LeAnndra Wallace Couvillion on November 27, 2018 at 4:43 pm

So sorry to hear of Richards passing! I remember him being at every sporting event I ever went to or participated little league all the way up! Prayers for all of you!

4. Etta Walker on November 27, 2018 at 5:11 pm

So sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!!!💔

5. Kelly Nimmo Prater on November 27, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Dorthy and Ricky, I had the pleasure of visiting with Richard a couple of years ago, he was still the wonderful person I remembered. My prayers are with you both as you lay to rest one of our country’s “greatest generation”. With deepest respect, Kelly Nimmo Prater.

6. Louis and BeverlyShorter on November 27, 2018 at 7:05 pm

We are so sorry for your loss, Richard was a wonderful person and always made me feel special!

7. Eva Barkley on November 27, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Dear Dorothy,
    I am so sorry for your loss. Jr thought a lot of Richard! I enjoyed seeing you in the afternoons enjoying riding the streets when I walked. I am glad you are close to your son. May the Lord give you and your family strength to get through this difficult time.

8. Kathy Lawrence on November 28, 2018 at 4:49 am

Dorothy and Ricky our thoughts, love, and prayers are with you. Richard was one of a kind and will be deeply missed. When we moved to Matador, one morning Kurt was sitting on the front poach having his morning coffee. Richard stop by to welcome him to the community. We had a wonderful visit with him. Saw him several times after that at the Post office and the grocery store. He always took the time to visit with us for a few minutes. He made us feel so welcome and at home. Asking God to wrap you and all the family in His love.
    Love to you all,