Joe Edd Helms

Joe Helms

Joe Helms, age 81, of Quitaque, passed away at his home on Wednesday, February 13, 2019. Funeral services will be held on 2:00 p.m.,  Saturday, February 16, 2019 at the First Baptist Church of Quitaque where he was a long time member. Interment will follow at the Resthaven Cemetery in Quitaque. Visitation will be held prior to service from 11:00 a.m-12:00 p.m., Saturday, February 16, 2019 at the First Baptist Church. Arrangements are under the personal care of Moore Rose Funeral Home of Quitaque.

Joe Edd was born on October 21, 1937 to William Elias (Bill) Helms and Annetta Johnson Helms in Gasoline, Texas where he resided all his life. He attended Gasoline school where his mother was a teacher until it closed shortly after WWII. He then attended Quitaque High School where he graduated in 1956. He continued the farming life he had begun along side his dad. He married Joan Green of Flomot on August 1, 1957. In addition to farming he started Helms Irrigation in 1965. He raised Suffolk sheep , southdown sheep and later South African Boer show goats that customers come from all over the US to purchase. He grew cotton, peanuts, cantaloupe, watermelon and the world’s finest sweet potatoes. He taught the men’s adult sunday school class at the First Baptist Church in Quitaque for 45+ years. Of all the work he ever did his family was his greatest asset and accomplishment. His greatest legacy is his hard work, honesty, and integrity. He was giving, selfless and the rock of his family.

Joe Edd was preceded in death by his parents and his brother W.E. Helms Jr.

He is survived by his wife Joan Helms, their 4 children; Bryan and Seritha Steinman of Amarillo, Kenneth and Karla Helms of Quitaque, Paula and Bobby Phillips of Quitaque, Robert and Michelle Helms of San Angelo, 7 adoring grandchildren, 4 great grandchildren, his younger brother and wife Johnnie and Nelda Helms of Amarillo.  Online condolences may be made at www.moorerose.com.

14 Comments

1. Colvin and Tish Morrison on February 14, 2019 at 6:02 pm

We are so very sorry. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

2. Jo patrick on February 14, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Prayers for your family Joan helms

3. Jo patrick on February 14, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Prayers for your family

4. Carolyn Ewing on February 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Joan and all the family, please accept my prayers and deepest Sympathy.

5. Jan Ramsey on February 14, 2019 at 7:05 pm

My heart breaks to hear of joe edd passing. May God be near to you all to protect &comfort you. I will always treasure the wonderful Sunday dinners we shared & the friendship developed from those gatherings. Love you all very much and may Gods love shine upon you in this time of need.
    Love you all.
    Jan &. Family

6. Lori Whitmire on February 14, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Robert, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Prayers for you and your family, my sweet friend.

7. Byron Lewis on February 14, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Joe Edd was a childhood friend of mine. RIP Joe Edd.

8. Stacy Minyard on February 14, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Sorry for you loss

9. Johnney and Carol Ann Turner on February 15, 2019 at 9:12 am

Our thoughts and prayer for each of you this time.

10. Ronnie Mac Chestnut on February 15, 2019 at 11:31 am

So sorry to hear about Joe Edd. He was one of my best friends in Quitaque and my wife loved talking to him on our visits back home. He had a real heart for his Sunday School Class and though I wasn’t in his age group, he asked me to come in to his class, which he taught for a while. Love him and his family.

11. Janice Fox on February 15, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Rob—A beautiful life described in his obituary. You and family are in my prayers.

12. SeReatha Stephens Steele on February 15, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Joan, Seritha, Johnnie (Gunny) and the rest of the family: I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I know how hard this is, and my heart goes out to all of you. Joe Edd was such a good man! My thoughts and prayers go out to you. May God bless you all!

13. Garry & Deborah Steinman on February 15, 2019 at 11:40 pm

Please accept our deepest condolences for your great loss. What a beautiful legacy your husband, father and grandfather gave you. Know we will continue to pray for you all.
    Love,
    Garry, Deborah, Garrison,
    Garrett & McKinleigh Steinman

14. Dona Porter on February 19, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Sorry for your loss and hope you are well soon, Wish I could be there. Dona